Chicken casserole recipe is a classic and hearty family meal made with all the joints of chicken and vegetables. It is comfort food packed with mushrooms, carrots, onions and celery, so it can really help you and your family. Thankfully, most chicken casseroles utilize similar proportions and assembly procedures, so you can prepare your own chicken casserole even if you don’t have a recipe to follow. You can never go wrong with a good casserole, this casserole is so easy to customize to your tastes which makes it perfect for even pickiest eaters.
Freeze Chicken Casserole
Chicken casserole is a great meal to freeze for later. You just need to allow your casserole to cool completely after you are done preparing it and then cover it with a piece of plastic wrap, pressing it onto the top of your casserole and removing as much air as possible. Then cover it with a piece of tin foil doing the same thing.
Time for cooking chicken casserole
This chicken casserole bakes for about 20 minutes, as all the ingredients are warm and pre-cooked before they go into the oven. If you are baking cold chicken casserole it will take more time about 35 to 40 minutes. This chicken casserole is a great recipe for meal prepping. The dish is quick, easy and kid-friendly, taking a total time of 45 minutes to make. Like most casseroles, everyone has their own favourite recipe, but if you are a beginner try this simple recipe which you can cook on the stove rather than in the oven. The chicken is the star of your casserole, but you will also need to decide on what vegetables, starches, binders and toppings to use.
- 8 chicken thighs, skin and bone removed
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- Chopped fresh parsley
- 1 stick of celery
- 2 medium carrots
- Chicken stock
Tips for cooking chicken casserole
- Heat the oil in a large pot and when it is hot, quickly brown the chicken thighs on all sides,
- Remove the brown chicken and set aside for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped onion to the oil and cook until it starts to soften.
- Add the chopped and minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the flour and mix it well until it has soaked up the oil and juices.
- Add the chicken. Followed by the chopped carrot and celery the bay leaf, thyme and one spring of parley.
- Add the chicken stock and mix well.
- Put the lid on the pot and allow to cook gently for 30 minutes
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve.
To make a casserole that serves at least four people, you will need 1 cup of cooked chicken, 1 cup of vegetable, 1 ½ cups of starch and another 1 ½ cups of a binder. If you wish to use toppings, roughly prepare 1 cup. The chicken should be completely cooked before you add it to the casserole.
Any ingredients that don’t need to be cooked before you add them to the casserole should still be brought to room temperature before you assemble the dish. This includes frozen vegetables and frozen pre-cooked chicken. Some vegetables can retain excess moisture, which may cause the casserole to become runny and unappetizing. Drain any cooked vegetables, especially if you cook the vegetables in water. Allow them to sit in a colander for several minutes until the water is thoroughly drained out. Pour frozen vegetables into a colander. As they defrost, the excess water should drip away from them.