Fruit salad is a dish consisting of various kinds of fruit, sometimes served in a liquid form, either in their own juices or syrup. With more summer weather arriving quickly, a cool crisp salad can be the basis for a light and refreshing meal. Fruit salad contains potassium, fibre, folate and vitamin A, B, C and D, these nutrients are essential for our health and reduces the risks of many diseases like diabetes, blood pressure and heart diseases. One of the healthiest things that you can eat is fruit salad, with the right kind and amount of fruits, a fruit salad can be very good for you. It has high fibre, vitamins and anti-oxidants and has a low energy density level.
A healthy diet is something that most of us avoid, as the saying goes “health is wealth” and without good health you will have a lot of problems in life. Unhealthy eating can become a hindrance in your life and it can stop you from achieving great success.
Fruit salad is a classic potluck contribution for a reason; it is easy to mix together a variety of fruits that will make a refreshing, flavourful side or dessert. For a fast fruit salad, mix strawberries, peaches and berries with little lemon juice, honey and vinegar, if you like syrup salad, combine tropical fruits with easy citrus-honey dressing. To make a creamy salad that makes a light dessert, beat cream cheese with mayonnaise, sugar and Greek yoghurt then coat pieces of fruit in the creamy mixture and enjoy.
Tips for Making Fruit Salad
- Part of fruit salad is the flavour and the other part is the presentation, try to get fruits that are contrasting colours so your fruit salad doesn’t look similar on the dish.
- Chop the fruits to the same size which makes the salad visually looking better.
- Make your fruit salad plan base on the season so you can get the juiciest and freshest fruits for your salad.
- `If you want to add banana to your fruit salad recipe, add it just before serving so it doesn’t have a chance to get mushy.
How to make a fruit salad
Fresh fruits are a great option for breakfast, snack or dessert. Fresh fruits are always tasty and ready for you to eat without cooking or preparing a recipe for them. Take an apple, a peach or a banana and just or make a salad from them, remember to always have fresh fruits available at home in your fridge. If you have a good choice available, you will make good choices.
Protein for Salads
If your salad is going to your main course, make it a balanced meal with the addition of some lean protein, good quality protein sources for serving with your greens include tofu, eggs, tuna, salmon, prawns, nuts and seeds, lean chicken and turkey as well as low-fat cheeses, cottage cheese and yoghurt.
- Peel off the back of the pineapple, wash it water and cut them into desired sizes with a kitchen knife that will be easy to chew and set aside.
- Peel off the back of the watermelon wash and also cut it into tiny shapes and set aside.
- Wash the apple, divide it into two, it will give you access to remove the seeds from the fruit. Cut the apple into small pieces.
- Peel off the back of the banana, cut it as well and set aside
- Peel the orange then cut the orange into tiny pieces, making sure you remove all the seeds inside the orange.
- Wash the mango properly with clean water, make sure that the mango is ripe enough to be chewable easily, cut the mango into halves making sure one half is bigger than the other so you won’t cut with the seed. Remove the seed in the mango then cut into tiny shapes.
Mixing the fruit salad
1. Mix the sliced fruits in one bowl.
2. You can blend the orange to extract the juice and pour it directly on the chopped fruits in the bowl; it will come out well at the end.
3. Your fruit salad is ready. You can take it at room temperature or allow it to be cold in the fridge for few minutes. It all depends on your preference.
Fruits are mainly composed of water; hence, they contain no calories. For those who want to lose weight or want to avoid gaining those extra pounds, fruit salad is a good option to take. If you take food with fewer calories and fewer nutrients, it can cause slow metabolism, less energy and mood swings. Fruit salad is less in calories but full of nutrients so it helps you in weight loss without any health issue.
Prevent Heart Diseases
Fruit salad maintains the cholesterol level in the body. It reduces the risk of heart disease; too much cholesterol can cause you heart disease. Since fruit salad is low in cholesterol, it is recommended to be taken more often for the benefit of your health.
Apple in a fruit salad is a good source of vitamin A. vitamin A protects the surface of the eye (cornea). It is also an essential nutrient for good vision. Vitamin A gets to combine with other antioxidants vitamins and reduces the risk of vision loss; it helps to avoid eye inflammation.
Fruit salad helps you in getting gloomy and smooth skin, it contains vitamin C. The antioxidants in brightly coloured fruits and vegetables can reduce our skin’s sensitivity to the sun. Vitamin helps in the production of collagen that strengthens the capillaries that supply hair shafts. Collagen metabolism is an essential attribute of smooth and glowy skin; it is also used in skincare products. Fruit salad reduces the risk of skin inflammation.
One of the benefits of fruit salad is that it is easily digestive food. It makes your digestive system healthy. It contains fibre and potassium and also low in fructose, these nutrients make our digestive system healthy. We can consume it daily for a healthy digestive system.
Many fruits have a high amount of fibre in them, fibres are very important in our diet. Our bodies cannot process fibre, so whatever comes in, goes right out. That means that they will solve problems with constipation, they will clean your bowels and they will help reduce the chances of getting colon cancer.
Daily vitamins and minerals
Remember I already mentioned that fruits are full of vitamins and minerals. A combination of multiple types of fruits in the form of salad, however, can satisfy your recommended daily intake of almost every vitamin and mineral.
Fruit salad is a dish consisting of various kinds of fruits cut into small pieces and combined together. It is usually served alongside heavy meals, like breakfast and also as a dessert. Fruits are a good source of vitamins and the body needs these vitamins for its major functions. Nigerian fruit salad is usually made with the combination of various fruits commonly sold or planted around the country. Generally, a rich plate of fruit salad should comprise of at least 5 to 7 different kinds of fruits.