Sausage rolls is a very popular snack in West African. It is made up of pastry dough wrapped around a well seasoned sausage meat, sausage rolls are classic pub food for a reason. These flaky pastries stuffed with spiced sausage bake up golden brown and are very delicious and yummy. The pastry used for this rolls is similar to the one used for Meat Pie or chicken pie. Everyone loves it.
For the Dough
- 2 ½ cups of all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoon of margarine
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 raw egg
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 5-7 tablespoon of water
For the sausage rolls filling
- 200g of minced or ground meat
- Pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 stock cube or 1 tablespoon full stock powder.
Shortcut Mini Sausage Rolls
- 8 herbed sausages
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g package of puff pastry, thawed
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 small handful of fresh thyme leaves
- Flour for dusting the work surface
Sausage Rolls preparation
1. Grind the sausage meat, add nutmeg, cayenne pepper and crumbled stock cube/powder. Mix thoroughly to get all the spices in and set aside.
2. Add the flour, baking powder, salt cold margarine and butter in a bowl. Then use the tip of your finger to rub the fat into the flour until a crumbly texture is formed.
3. Then add a little water bit by bit to avoid adding too much water, until you have non sticky smooth dough.
4. Break the egg and whisk it and set aside.
5. Grease or line the baking tray with margarine and flour and also set aside.
6. Now roll the dough on a lightly floured table and knead for five minutes.
7. Cut out a bit of the dough using a rolling pin; roll the dough fat but not too flat. Then cut out the dough to form a rectangular shape.
8. Place the spiced sausage meat on the dough and form it into a log then roll it over until it overlaps a little bit.
9. Now cut the rolled dough into the desired length you want for your sausage. And arrange the rolls into a pre-greased and floured pan and make a decoration over the rolls by using a fork to poke it or a knife to make a mark on the rolls.
10. Now make the egg wash by whisking one egg and one tablespoon of water and brush this over the surface of the sausage rolls.
11. Your sausage rolls are ready to bake, bake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for about 35 minutes.
12. Serve hot or warm alongside your favourite chilled drink or yogurt.
For more delicate pastry you can used a combination of butter and margarine but be free to use only margarine for this, it also work out very well. If you like to ensure that the meat is cooked, insert an instant-read meat thermometer.
Baking short mini sausage rolls
- Sprinkle a little flour on your counter and unroll two sheets of thawed puff pastry from 500g package. Try to keep your work surface cold or roll the pastry out on marble.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each sheet into a rectangular shape. Don’t worry about the puff pastry delicately since you do not want it to puff up too much as it bakes.
- Cut each large rectangle in half using a sharp knife. Make the cut lengthwise and cut 8 smaller rectangles from each piece. This should leave you with about 16 small rectangles.
- In a bowl, crack 1 egg and beat with a fork. Set it aside and put 8 short herbed sausages on a cutting board and slice each in half lengthwise. Once you are done cutting, you should have 16 thin sausages, if the sausages are longer than the pastry rectangle, you will have to cut them to fit in. Feel free to use any flavoured sausage that is available if you can’t find herbed sausage.
- Dip a pastry brush in the beaten egg and brush one end of each small rectangle, and place a sausage on the other end of each rectangle. The egg will help seal the pastry shut once you assemble the roll, set the leftover egg wash in the refrigerator since you will need it later.
- Season the sausage with as much salt and pepper as you can take, then scatter half handful of thyme leaves across the sausage, you can use fresh rosemary instead of thyme if you so prefer.
- Gather the end of the pastry closest to the sausage and roll it up over the meat, continue to roll until you reach the end of the rectangle with the egg wash. Ensure that you roll to the very end with the wash so that the roll seal shut, repeat the process for each rectangle.
- Chill the rolls until the pastry hardens set the assembled sausage rolls on a baking sheet and put the sheet in the refrigerator.
- Put the baking sheet in the preheated oven and cook the rolls for about 25 to 30 minutes until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
- Remove the sausage rolls and serve them while they are still warm.