Shawarma is thinly sliced cuts of meat like, chicken, beef, goat, lamb and sometimes turkey rolled into a large piece of flat bread or pita that has been steamed or heated. Inside the pita foods like, hummus, pickles, vegetables or even French fries are added. Raw meat is placed on large rotating cones, as it rotates the meat is cooked by a heat source that is located behind the actual cone, the meat slowly falls off or is thinly sliced by a chef with a large knife, this process normally take several hours to fully cook.
Millions of people adore shawarma; it is a very popular street meal in the whole world. Shawarma is unimaginable without bread. Use yufka, markfouk, pita or a flour tortilla for a shawarma, if you have prepared shawarma flat breads beforehand, you should warm them for 1 to 2 minutes in a deep skillet over medium heat. Do this after you’ve finished cooking your meat so that you can place your chicken into a quite hot shawarma. If you are looking for the ideal snack to take to work or study, this variant is for you. Shawarma can hardly be called fast food; it primarily consists of vegetables rather than fat products so you can add this snack to your diet.
It is advisable to cook only beef or chicken shawarma but if you prefer to mix, you can do that, anyway the snack cooks delicious. You also have to know how to make shawarma filling because it gives unique taste to your shawarma. You might not be able to cook using a spit in your own kitchen but you can make a savoury shawarma using your oven grill or a stove.
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. of nutmeg
- 1 tsp. of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of cardamom
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast, cut into strips
If you have all the necessary ingredients, you are on the right way to prepare the best shawarma in the world. Preparing the ingredients occupies most of all the cooking time. I am only here to advice you and you alone can decide what ingredients will make you the snack, continue reading this article to get the most best shawarma!
- Use a medium sized plastic bowl to mix together garlic, paprika, nutmeg, cinnamon and cardamom, and then stir the spices for at least 30 seconds so you have fully mixed them together.
- Add the chicken thighs to the spice mixture and toss them until they’ve been covered with the mixture on both sides. Drizzle them with a little olive oil and toss again, making sure they are fully coated.
- Heat your grill and grease a large piece of aluminium foil, set it on the grill with the greased side up once the grill has been heated.
- Turn the chicken over a few times until it is thoroughly cooked.
- You will have to remove your chicken from the grill and place on a serving plate before you start to assemble your shawarma.
- You can now add lettuce, onion, tahini sauce, pickled cabbage, hummus or other ingredients you like to place in the flat bread. You first place the chicken in the bread followed by other toppings, pouring on the tahini sauce last, wrap the flat bread similarly to a burrito leaving an inch of space between the ingredients and the top of the bread so they do not pour out.
- Once you have done that, your chicken shawarma will be ready to eat.
After you have added the meat, tahini sauce and cabbage to your shawarma, you can cook it, seam side down for about 3 minutes in a skillet to get it nice and brown and to seal the ingredients together.
For the Tahini Sauce
It is easy to make the tahini sauce, you need to mix garlic with lemon juice in a medium bowl, and then let it sit for about five minutes. Afterwards blend the tahini, yogurt, olive oil and a teaspoon of salt until the mixture is smooth enough. If you feel the mixture is too thick to pour then you can add 1 or 2 tbsp. of water and mix it in to make it a bit thinner.
Pickled cabbage is also an important ingredient to making a delicious shawarma. All you need do to make it is to heat a bit of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add your cabbage and cook for about 10 minutes or less until it is good and tender, you can occasionally stir to make sure it cooks evenly. You then remove it from the heat and add the pomegranate molasses, vinegar and sugar, once you do that, just season it to taste with a bit more of vinegar or sugar as well as salt and pepper to taste.
Prepare your flat bread
You can use pita, yufka, marfouk or even a flour tortilla for a shawarma. If you’re using flat bread you’ve made ahead of time or you bought from the store you just need to warm them in a deep skillet over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, you should do this after you have done with preparing your meat so that you can place the meat into the shawarma that is nice and warm.