Shrimp stir fry is a quick and healthy meal that everyone loves. Loads of ginger and garlic, fresh veggies and juicy shrimps are tossed in a simple delicious stir fry sauce. Everyone loves a healthy stir fry include this easy shrimp recipe. Nearly every stir fry recipe can be changed based on what you have on hand.
Stir-frying is a traditional Asian cooking technique. This is usually done in a work; it involves adding a few tablespoons of oil in a hot pan to sear foods like shrimps, vegetables and meat quickly. This process helps to cook the food pretty quickly and keep them nice and crisp without burning. It also helps the food to retain much less oil as compared to deep frying. This shrimp stir fry is adaptable and inventive. You can use any vegetables of your choice and this can also be done with chicken instead of shrimps.
The oil must be fully heated before stir-frying. Ensure the oil coats all the bottom of the pan before adding your ingredients, try to ensure your meat, chicken or seafood are of even sizes to ensure they cook evenly. You can also toss in some fresh chopped herbs like basil, dill or parsley. Shrimps cook very fast so make sure you remove them from the heat immediately they become pink.
To love the mechanics of ethnic cuisines you use ginger, garlic and scallion which is sometimes referred to as the Chinese trinity because it is the base aromatics for Chinese staple. You also use shrimps, bell peppers and green beans with a simple honey garlic sauce. These simple ingredients cook quickly to create sweet, crunchy, salty, tender goodness and all these ingredients are what you can find easily in your local grocery store. The shrimp stir fry is delicious and incredibly easy to make. Shrimp, red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, green beans and scallion sautéed to perfection, stir fry recipes do not take a long time to prepare, they are versatile and also tasty.
How to make Shrimp stir fry
Shrimp stir fry is truly one of the easiest meals ever. If you decide to add vegetable, you have to prep the veggies ahead of time and can make this stir fry recipe faster than the rice cooks.
1. Firstly, you prepare the sauce and set aside
2. Gently sauté shrimp until they turn pink. They will cook a little bit more when combined with the sauce so be sure not to overcook them. Remove them from the heat immediately and set aside.
3. Stir fry the vegetables, you can use whatever vegetable you want.
4. Add the shrimp and sauce and cook for few minutes until bubbly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
How to Devein Shrimp
If you are using fresh, raw shrimp, deveining them is a cinch. Most shrimp are already scored across the back spine so all you need do is to separate the shells, grab by the legs and gently pull the shell off, take the tip of a paring knife and gently lift up the back intestine. It should come out in one piece, rinse and set aside. Some think that leaving the pink tail on is more attractive but you have to remove it when serving shrimp stir fry to kids; it makes the stir fry easier for them to eat.
How to Cook Frozen Shrimp
You can buy precooked frozen shrimp, but for this recipe, it is better to use raw ones they literally take minutes to cook. Whether it is precooked or raw, take it out of the freezer and place it in a bowl so it thaws naturally or runs under icy cold water just before cooking. Putting frozen shrimp in the microwave to defrost is not recommended.
For the Stir Fry
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- Green beans
- 4 green onions
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the Sauce
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ¼ cup of honey
- ½ tablespoon of cornstarch
- ½ tbsp of grated fresh ginger
- ½ tbsp of garlic
- 2 teaspoon of red chilli flakes or you add to your taste
- 1 tbsp of corn starch
For the Sauce
In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce and mix together until well combined,
For the Stir Fry
- Remove the seeds and the ribs from peppers and cut in lengthwise into strips.
- Clean the shrimps and pat dry with a paper towel, season with salt and black pepper.
- Preheat 2 tablespoon of oil in a pan until it becomes very hot. Add the shrimp and fry until they become just pink.
- Add the green beans and bell peppers and stir-fry for about 5 minutes until crisp and tender.
- Stir in the shrimps and add the sauce.
- Leave to simmer for about one minute or till the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
When you want a home-cooked meal that is ready in a hurry, it is hard to top a stir fry. Instead of the usual chicken or beef, though consider adding shrimp to your next stir fry. Not only are they high in protein, but they are also low in fat than many other types of meat as well. Best of all a shrimp stir fry is quick and easy to prepare once you get the technique down.
- You can add as many vegetables as you like to the shrimp stir fry. However, keep in mind that you don’t want to crowd the pan with too many ingredients because you will end up steaming the vegetables instead of stir-frying them.
- If you are not in the mood for shrimp, you can replace it with chicken, beef or tofu. You can also omit the protein and make a vegetable stir fry.
- You can put whatever you want in your stir fry; that is the beauty of a stir fry. The main components are some kind of protein, vegetables and sauce.
- If you are looking for a super low carb option, just enjoy your stir fry recipe on its own. It really doesn’t need anything else.