Tiger nut drink is a very popular drink in Nigeria and some other part of the world. Some called it a
superfood because of the benefits it contains. Tiger nut has a marble-like a shape and wrinkle on the outside, got its name from a tiger-striped exterior. It has some sweet, nutty, gritty inside but very tasty when chewing raw the shaft is not normally swallowed.
Tiger nut drink or kunnu Aya survived many centuries of tasting and now again begins to attract fans of healthy eating. Tiger nut is a vegetable growing in the ground like a potato, it has existed for thousands of years and has been known to humans since prehistoric times and is considered of the oldest food.
Its taste is slightly sweet with a nutty aroma. Eat them raw, fried, dried, or crushed into flour. Like many root crops, they are related to heavy food, it is best to have them in the form of sweets, ice cream and drink. One of the advantages of such milk is that it can completely replace cow or goat milk, it is even more useful. Small, wrinkled amber coloured tubers that grow just beneath the soil’s surface, tiger nuts number among the first foods cultivated by early humans and they remain a traditional food and source of nourishment in West African and Spain.
Tiger nut milk is naturally sweet, creamy and offers a luxurious, rich and nutty flavour. Unlike milk made from almonds or other nuts which are typically very high in inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids, tiger nut milk is rich, in monounsaturated fat as well as minerals and vitamins C and E.
In Nigeria, tiger nut drink is popularly hawked by the roadside and the tiger nut itself is commonly sold by the Northerners and it is also known as Ofio. For prolong shelf life, get the dried ones but if you can easily get fresh where you reside, you can go for them.
- 2 cups of tiger nuts
- 3 cups of filtered water for blending
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Cinnamon or nutmeg for spice, this is optional
- 1 big coconut flesh chopped
- 10 pieces of dabino
- For dried tiger nuts, hydrate the nuts in water and place in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours to avoid fermentation.
- If you are using fresh tiger nuts just rinse and bled with whatever you want to add.
- Wash the dabino and cut into two pieces each.
- Break up the coconut and also cut into smaller pieces.
- Drain the tiger nuts and rinse again, if there are black tiger nuts among the ones you have picked them out.
- Blend the tiger nuts, dabino and coconut together with water. Let the water be enough just to cover the tiger nuts and others.
- After blending it, you will need cheesecloth to sieve, if you are in doubt you can sieve it twice or more.
- Pour the blended mixture into the cheesecloth, strainer, and mesh whatever you have at home and sieve the content.
- Make sure you rinse the blender and sieve everything together.
- Pour in the vanilla extract and sieve for the second time.
- Pour in a jar or bottle and put in the refrigerator.
- When you are ready to drink, you can cinnamon powder for spicy taste or sugar for a sweeter taste.
- Tiger nut drink is good to drink up within a day but can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days as long as there is power and your refrigerator is cold.
- Make sure all the containers you are using are clean because it doesn’t involve cooking.
- It acts as a periodic.
- It is a source of magnesium.
- It is high in fibre
- It is a source of vegetable proteins
- It stimulates the growth of good bacteria in the digestive tract.
- It is a source of potassium.
Milk from this nut is nutritious, doesn’t contain lactose, is rich in calcium and other nutrients. These small nuts contain a large number of minerals useful and necessary for the human body. Vitamins C and E acting as antioxidants, help to fight the oxidative action of free radicals, reduce cholesterol. This milk if not added sugar contains fewer calories than any carbonated drink but perfectly quenches thirst.
The presence of carbohydrates makes it a tasty and healthy source of energy. Tiger nuts are an ideal choice for people with heart diseases and diabetes, as they contain a large amount of fibre, fatty acids and vitamins. The tiger nuts can be an excellent source of replenishing nutrients for vegetarians during fasting.
Tiger nut milk is a traditional drink in Nigeria and Spain, Africa is the birthplace of this net, in Spain, it has been known since chufa entered this country and has long become a national drink called Orchata. It is very important to prepare such drink; the tiger nut drink bottled and sold in stores can contain a lot of sugar and other little useful and sometimes not very harmless ingredients. Tiger nut milk or kunnu aya is a traditional Nigerian method of preparing tiger nuts, which highlights their natural soft, sweet creamy notes and a flavour reminiscent of roasted chestnuts.